Accounting: Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Accounting program provides specialized education for various entry-level positions in the accounting profession. The program is designed for easy transfer into the bachelor’s degree program in accounting.
Graduates of this program may find employment as accounting technicians, payroll clerks, bookkeepers or clerical assistants in business, government, or nonprofit organizations. With experience, the graduate may also qualify for more advanced positions, such as payroll supervisor, lead accountant or tax specialist.
The program will:
- Prepare learners to attain university core abilities and program learning outcomes by utilizing performance-based curriculum in a caring and supportive learning environment.
- Measure and assess student learning and implement improvements, as needed, to ensure high quality academic programs and services.
- Prepare learners to develop plans for the pursuit of graduate studies and/or continuing professional development activities and membership in professional and community organizations.
- Confirm that faculty members meet university qualifications guidelines, utilize effective and innovative teaching methods that promote academic excellence, and pursue opportunities for professional development.
- Monitor the needs of the program’s community of interest and maintain the currency and relevancy of program curriculum through regular faculty and advisory committee meetings and academic program reviews.
- Achieve and maintain specialized program accreditation.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program will:
- Apply generally accepted accounting principles to routine financial accounting activities.
- Update and maintain accounting records to ensure accurate financial reporting.