Health and Beauty Management: Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Health and Beauty Management program prepares the licensed cosmetologist to own or operate a beauty parlor, salon or spa or to manage his or her own booth. This degree is designed for individuals who have earned a cosmetology certificate or diploma and have successfully passed their state board of cosmetology exam. A maximum of 50 quarter credit hours from a cosmetology certificate or diploma program is required to transfer into the health and beauty vocational core.
Students are able to add business skills to their industry knowledge and experiences through a performance-based curriculum that includes studies in management, marketing, communication, and career management. This program is an excellent option for students who wish to pursue a management career or become an entrepreneur in the health and beauty sector.
The program will:
- Prepare learners to attain university core abilities and program learning outcomes by utilizing performance-based curriculum in a caring and supportive learning environment.
- Measure and assess student learning and implement improvements, as needed, to ensure high quality academic programs and services.
- Prepare learners to develop plans for the pursuit of graduate studies and/or continuing professional development activities and membership in professional and community organizations.
- Confirm that faculty members meet university qualifications guidelines, utilize effective and innovative teaching methods that promote academic excellence, and pursue opportunities for professional development.
- Monitor the needs of the program's community of interest and maintain the currency and relevancy of program curriculum through regular faculty and advisory committee meetings and academic program reviews.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the program will:
- Identify a variety of employment options in the health and beauty sector.
- Create a comprehensive health and beauty business plan.
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and oral communication skills.
- Design a plan for participating in professional activities and pursuing personal and professional development.