Health Information Technology: Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology degree program at National American University prepares students from diverse backgrounds to perform entry-level technical and managerial functions in various healthcare settings. The program is offered in a flexible online format that prepares students for the RHIT certification examination. Through a student-centered, performance-based curriculum, the AHIMA Domains, Subdomains, and Tasks are utilized to prepare students for a career in health information technology, a profession in which employment is projected to grow faster than average.
The health information technology occupation is one of the fastest growing professions in one of the fastest growing industries. Health information professionals provide reliable and valid information that drives health care. Health information technicians are specialists in managing medical records, coding and reimbursement, and possess the skills to think critically and problem solve. These professionals play a key role in preparing, analyzing, and maintaining health records and are considered experts in assuring the privacy and security of health data.
The health information field is increasingly focusing on electronic patient records, database management, and information privacy and security. HIT professionals work in a variety of settings, such as hospitals, physician practices, long-term care, home health care, insurance, managed care, health technology firms, and pharmaceutical companies.
The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM) has awarded Accreditation to the Health Information Technology Associate Degree Program for National American University Online.
Student Learning Outcomes
The graduates of the program will:
- Apply healthcare laws, regulations, accreditation, licensure, certification standards, and ethics in the health information technology profession.
- Collect, analyze, and maintain health record content in paper or electronic mediums.
- Assign ICD and CPT codes on inpatient and outpatient records.
- Apply healthcare billing and reimbursement processes for inpatient and outpatient encounters.
- Apply quality management, utilization management, risk management, and healthcare vital statistics in the health information technology profession.
- Create a professional development plan to achieve and maintain certification.