Veterans Upward Bound (Rapid City Campus)
The purpose of the Veterans Upward Bound program is to provide educational assistance to qualified veterans for the improvement of their educational skills prior to attending a college, university, vocational school or technical school. The program is free to qualifying veterans with all supplies, instructional materials, and academic services provided at no cost. Classes are available each quarter in writing, math and basic computer.
Eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Provide a copy of the DD Form 214 and the most recent 1040 tax return. (Not required if the veteran did not file taxes.)
- Must be discharged after January 31, 1955 and have served 181 days of active duty in the U.S. military or be service connected disabled.
- Discharged other than dishonorable.
Services available include:
- Academic preparatory/refresher courses in Basic Computer, Math and Writing
- Tutoring in Basic Computers, Math and Writing
- Career exploration
- Preparation for college entrance exams
- Academic advising and assistance and instruction in study skills
- Assistance with completion of admissions, financial aid and scholarship applications and transcript requests
- Referral to the Veterans Administration, veterans support agencies and community resources
Western Nebraska Community College, Scottsbluff, NE is affiliated with National American University, Rapid City, SD, to bring the Veterans Upward Bound program to western South Dakota. Veterans Upward Bound is funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 with Western Nebraska Community College being the recipient of the grant.
For additional information about this program at the Rapid City campus, contact the Veterans Upward Bound representative at (605) 394-5002, toll-free at (888) 559-9622.